- Plus Group provided all design services for this new pharmaceutical packaging facility, including Site Master Planning, architectural design, building engineering, centralized utilities including chilled water / hot water / Back-Up Power Generator & UPS / USP Water / Clean Compressed Air, Parts Washer and packaging engineering. .
- The design team met with the various user groups and project stakeholders to develop the user requirements of the project. Site Master Planning included traffic studies, drives and parking, and expansion plans to grow the packaging and warehousing functions without interruption to the future operational building. Plus Group completed the documentation of the existing facilities and equipment, the programming phase establishing the design criteria for the facility design and the packaging equipment, and all construction documents.
- The Client wished to incorporate “green” design principles where it made sense without pursuing LEED certification. Process Plus guided the Client regarding the cost and ROI for these design approaches. The Client opted to install a retention pond on the site where all site stormwater from the building and parking lots was diverted. The 17-acre site was irrigated using water from the retention pond. White reflective, fleeced back EPDM roofing and motion-activated LED lighting was designed and installed for all interior and exterior site lighting applications.
- The Client asked for the design of building effluent to be such that potent wastewater would be separated from sanitary and able to add retention and chemical treatment if needed for future needs. Process Plus was able to incorporate this into the design. The current building tenant was able to capitalize on this when they added manufacturing capabilities to the site.
- One of the project challenges was the addition of potent compound packaging, which was added after the completion of the preliminary design of the packaging area. The building includes a packaging facility, as well as an office, lunchroom, training space, a quality/material testing lab, a 22,000 CFM dust collector serving eight rooms, Back-Up Power Generator & UPS, Oil-Free Class 1.2.1 Compressed Air System, and a USP grade water system along with a parts warehouse and washroom. In addition, there is a high bay warehouse and fire pump system to support ESFR fire suppression in the hi-bay areas.
- To expedite the design process and in striving to meet the Client’s schedule, Plus Group implemented a phased approach for this project. Before the site for the project was determined, Plus Group had already begun the Programming phase, determining the needs and space requirements for the staff and equipment. While leading the Client through the design process, Plus Group also managed the project schedule.
LOCATION: Blue Ash, OH
PROJECT CAPITAL:$45 Million (Facility & Site Development)
SITE: 17 Acres / 190,000 ft2
- Deadline Driven: At Plus Group, we understand the importance of a deadline. Missing the open date for the Client’s facility could have resulted in a tremendous missed opportunity cost for the company. We worked with the Client throughout this project to keep on schedule for the 2013 open date. We implemented a phased approach to the project, which helped expedite some project phases. For example, Plus Group could complete the Programming Phase before a site was selected for the project. Additionally, Plus Group worked with the Client to evaluate different construction delivery methods. The Client chose the project’s Construction Management (CM) delivery method, which they had not considered before our involvement. This method allows the CM to work at the construction site before the construction documents are completed.
- Technical Knowledge: We put our past project experience to work for you, and Plus Group’s full-service abilities are your benefit. With the exception of landscape architecture, all engineering and architecture services for the project were performed in-house. With a project team assembled under one roof, there is efficient communication, thorough discipline coordination, and lower overhead costs, which is a benefit to your bottom line.
- Local Presence: With today’s technology, engineers and designers can work on your project from almost anywhere, but there is still something to be said for a face-to-face meeting. Any of our architects or engineers can be on-site at the Client’s facility within minutes. This has proven advantageous for the Client and us, especially while working through the programming and preliminary design phases, where we worked closely with all user groups and stakeholders. No one at the Client’s Cincinnati office had experienced a new facility project of this nature before; therefore, they relied on Plus Group’ leadership, knowledge of local building codes, and past experience with local building officials.
- Attention to Budget: At Plus Group, we understand the importance of a budget. A project should be designed with a budget in mind instead of relying on value engineering at the end of the process when construction documents are complete.
- Project Management: We understand that you do not design new facilities daily, nor is it part of your job description. We are here to lead you through the process. This was the first new facility for the Client in many years, and there were many different stakeholders involved in the design process. It was our job to ask the right questions and meet the needs of everyone involved, leading them through this exciting time for their company.
- Solution Driven: For a project to go smoothly, everyone needs to work toward the same goal while accommodating and flexible. After the programming phase, Plus Group learned that the Client required a significant facility change: incorporating potent compounds. There were no corporate standards to follow for these types of products. Therefore, Plus Group worked closely with the Client to facilitate this change and create the corporate standards necessary for this type of facility while keeping the project on schedule and within budget.
Request Project InformationFor more information about this project or any other project from Plus Groups, please contact us using the form below.